Sunday 13 March 2011

'I Don't Like Music'

Dear Kate,

I feel lighter already, since I began pulling these swirling thoughts and emotions out of my mind and off my chest and putting them to rest on 'paper'.


 How do you get things off your chest?

And there are a few more things I would like to know:

What is it like to be you? 
How does your world look?
And more particularly, how does it sound?

I am still reeling from your stark announcement last week:


'I don't like music.'

The audiologist told me that you can't hear changes in pitch.  You don't know if the notes are going up or down!!!

What does a song sound like?
(And could Richard Stauss ever sweep you out of your chair, carry you through many modulations and then leave you resting 1cm above the ground?)

What does it sound like when we talk?
(What do prosody and intonation mean for you and if I am facetious will you understand me?  How do you feel about homonyms and are you content with this content? What do you 'read' from the context?)

Music is such a fundamental part of my existence. There is always music in my head.  When I am busy talking, writing, working or paddling it is playing continuously in the background, like a force that is driving me forward. When I am happy I bounce with it and when I am miserable I wallow in it and everything in between.

What fills you up with joy?

I remember the long car trip we took when you were 6 and you giggled the whole way because you were watching funny cat videos in your head.  And when someone tried to teach you meditation, you cried because they were trying to take the stories out of your head.  Is that what keeps your cogs turning? Videos and stories in your head?

I have read the books by Sally Shaywitz, Norman Doidge, Linda Silverman, Ron Davis, Liz Dunoon and Robert Melillo amongst others. Academically, I understand that you are a right-hemisphere, gestalt, visual-spatial thinker and learner. 

But I think in words.
And I feel with music.

 How do you work?

Love Mum

PS Do you care that I can't watch videos in my head and are you disappointed in my disappointment?

PPS I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment