Wednesday 16 March 2011

Einstein's Fish

Dear Kate,
You are Einstein's fish.  Does that sound a bit tacky, twee or maybe like a bad song lyric?  It is simply what I thought when I saw this quote by Einstein:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid"

This is the reminder I needed, to attend to your gift, not just your disability.

I will start now!

*At 6, you had the working memory of an 11 year old.
*You are exceptional at mental arithmetic.
*You have determination and the power to endure and succeed.
*You are the kindest person I know.

You can do ANYTHING you want to do!  The educational psychologist told you that after you practically inhaled the WISC-IV and spat out a phenomenal result.  If only that one statement was powerful enough to undo the layers of anxiety and self-doubt that school has built upon you.

On the last day of school in 2010, I picked you up and felt the thick sludgy layers of stress slide off us both.  The  tranquility of the school holidays seemed surreal.  I could see you slowly recharging.  But then it was New Years Eve and a fresh onslaught of frustration and humiliation was visible to us both.

I sweated for three weeks and I know that you did too. 
I wished for the millionth time that I didn't have to haul you through another torturous term.
I yearned for your preschool years.
I wished I didn't have to watch you suffer. 
I wished I could feel calm and happy.
I wished I had space in my head for something other than you.

Then miraculously, the neurons that had neglected to fire over the last three years, did, and I connected the fact that homeschooling exists, with the knowledge that I was absolutely capable of doing it!

So, if you feel that you are a fish, I can't wait to watch you swim. And you don't need to climb any trees. Unless of course you want to.  And then I will stick a tree in your ocean or build a dam around your tree.  Whatever it takes.

Love Mum



6 comments:

  1. Melita,
    I just read this and cried. I showed it to Michael and he cried.
    What a beautiful letter to your incredible little fish.
    I can't think of anyone better to teach Kate all she'll ever need to know.
    Love,
    Anna Crawford
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote, it perfectly describes my 2e son. And, that said, he's now home from school and from the sound of it brought home some pals. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for you lovely comments Anna. I am glad you like the blog.
    Love Melita
    PS Congratulations on being a Mum. I don't know if I said that before, but I have been following what you are up to by stalking you on Facebook.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Beat
    You have been entrusted with the care of a beautiful and precious soul, and all your life skills and knowledge are now being brought into play to nurture her in the best possible way and I applaud you for this. I will always love and support you
    Your Mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Melita,
    I have told you this before but I will tell you again, because once, twice, three times is not enough. You are wonderful! All children with a learning difficulty should have a parent like you and your girl has two parents who love,cherish and are guiding her. What a Blessing. We all learn differently and Dyslexia is just one example of this. You are observing what others who have gone before you may not have or not have had the skills that you have. I will continue to read your blog with great interest and follow the progress. I travelled this path with my daughter and struck walls and battlefields constantly, within my own family and the medical profession. I sought help everywhere and anywhere. Nobody listened. I felt like Munch's "Scream" in a silent film. Ahhhh it was so hard. So we went through the worst that can happen to a child with learning difficulties from Depression to Eating Disorders, Self Harming and attempts at Suicide then Drugs and Alcohol abuse. Today she is in a great place. It's taken 26years. Your precious daughter won't experience these things and neither will other children because of wonderful, consistent,loving and persistantly strong Mother's like you.
    Congratulations. Love Amanda

    ReplyDelete