Sunday 4 March 2012

A Loss of Perspective









Dear Kate,

Last week you finished a 2 week intensive visual processing course with an expert on Dyslexia.  The upshot was they "hoped like hell that it had done some good" but considered your impairment to be "very severe" to the point that you would always need a reader and a scribe as you are functionally "deaf and blind" where literacy is concerned.

It has really knocked the wind out of me...again.

You enjoyed the course (and all the bribery I used to get you to do it) and skipped out happily and chatted away, while I staggered and grunted non-committally and the migrane started to brew.

The next day I set off on a 100km walk to fundraise for the Fred Hollows Foundation. For each $25 my team and I raised, the charity can restore vision to one person whose blindness is caused by poverty. A cheap easy solution. Appealing huh?

You and your sister wrote me little notes to give me encouragement along the way, but the only one I can really remember said "Go mummy go.  If you get dorb (bored), try torking in pig lengig (Pig Language)."

What I should have done, is enjoy the running joke between us, but instead I counted the errors and wondered if anyone else could have gleaned a meaning from this.

I recognise my complete lack of perspective in responding this way.  I guess that is good.
It is a new week and time to start afresh.

Love Mum
xxx

1 comment: